Step-by-step guide on how to print from your phone
Below are step-by-step instructions for mobile printing, adding a printer and choosing a printing app for android, iOS.
Google Cloud Print comes preinstalled on most Android devices, but you can download it manually.
- If you download the Google Cloud Print app to your mobile device manually, you'll have to identify or add a printer compatible with your device that's on the same shared Wi-Fi network. Open Settings and find printing to add a printer.
- Once your printer is added, open the app you're printing from and tap the three dots that indicate more options (usually in the upper right corner) to find and select the Print option.
Best Printer Apps for Android
While there are some third-party Android apps that can address your printing needs, it's likely best to stick with Google Cloud Print. This official application, recommended by Android, provides you with the capability of printing directly from whatever program you're in, be it a web browser, email client or document management system. Instead of having to open a separate app, Google Cloud Print allows you to print directly from your phone or tablet.
Keep in mind that your specific printer may work better using its own plugin or application. For example, HP's printer app is a plugin you can download in the Google Play app store. Once it's downloaded, you'll be able to easily print.
Apple's built-in AirPrint feature makes it easy to print directly from any iPhone or iPad without downloading additional programs to your mobile device.
- You can only use Air Print with printers compatible with Apple's technology. Check this list to make sure your printer is AirPrint-enabled.
- Make sure your phone and your printer are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Next, open the app you want to print from and find the print option, which may be under Share, Print or Other Options. Tap Print or the printer icon and select Choose an Air Print-Enabled Printer. For this example, we printed something directly from Apple's email client.
- You should be able to easily identify and select the printer of your choice (or add a new printer), specify your printing needs (number of copies, etc.), and send your job to the chosen printer.